Bedroom on Arlington


Painting in progress for Waking up with Van Gogh an exhibit at the Hickory Art Museum, opening in April 2012.

Curator Moni Hill has asked participating artists to interpret van Gogh's Bedroom of Arles for this museum show. After staring at images of the three paintings van Gogh made of his bedroom (I have never seen any of the originals in real life,) it suddenly hit me that every bedroom I've ever had has borne a close resemblence to the Bedroom in Arles -- the wooden floors, chairs, those doors, a night table, modest windows...


So I decided to set up my easel and paint my bedroom. It's just a personal homage to van Gogh who embodies my fantasy as an artist who created art for "art's sake," particularly since he received such little acclaim for his work during his lifetime. The mythology surrounding van Gogh has molded so many people's perceptions of what an artist is -- obsessive types with austere and solitary living habits, carted off to mental institutions, committing suicide (though now there is discussion that he was killed.) Admittedly this stereotype of the "artist," or the "bohemian" is an objectified notion which I have flirted with throughout my life.

While I enjoy painting outside in nature or on the street, this is the first time I've ever painted an interior from life. I realized the same principles apply - it's necessary to paint quickly to capture the light as it flits across the room. In this case I had to decide which block of light to go with and commit to it.

Other formal considerations with this painting: I kept the measurements the same as van Gogh's original two paintings (the third he made was smaller,) and I attempted to channel some of his painterly ways, particularly in the floorboards. But it is impossible to truly paint like van Gogh, who has always been one of my personal art heroes. His paintings vibrate, even so many years after they were created. The first I ever saw (Shoes,1888) actually made me get emo and teary right there in the museum.

I'm looking forward to seeing the other artists' interpretations on this theme in April, 2012. This is going to be a nice show, chock full of regional artists. Kudos to Moni Hill for putting it together.

Comments

Post a Comment