Art Heroes

Today in my design class I presented a crash course on the history of art in Western Civilization. Reviewing my notes and images I contemplated the particular artists who played key roles in inspiring my direction as an artist.

One of them is Henry Darger, whose work gave me the confidence to produce broad narratives as well as use mass produced images for reference material.

Another is Vincent van Gogh for his committed and inspired use of paint, even when the public didn't like or understand what he was doing.


Frida Kahlo for her relentless and unapologetic use of self as subject matter.

The monks who lived in solitude and painstakingly created the Illuminated Manuscripts.

Caravaggio for his audacity and use of light.

Sue Coe "Meatflies"

But really, any artist who approaches his/her work with fearless bravado and a sincere point of view is a hero of mine. There are so many.

Comments

  1. Lol. There sure are a lot of blood and guts on this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No wonder I like your paintings.
    I dig all above mucho.
    I saw an amazing Darger show a few
    years ago and was completely blown
    away. Back in the 80's I caught a Sue Coe
    exhibit that was also a mind blower.
    I haven't seen what she's been up to lately.
    I'll have to google her and see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my art heroes is Romare Bearden. Amazing how much detail he could get from collage.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment