In a Time of Trouble a Wild Exultation


I'm pleased to share that my long-time-friend-for-the-ages, Jaye Bartell, has used a painting I made over ten years ago as the image of his new album, In a Time of Trouble a Wild Exultation. I met Jaye in 2004 when we both worked in a coffeeshop in Asheville, NC. I was working on the painting during that time. Over the years Jaye and I were roommates a couple times and have generally shared a fondness for rad female painters and writers. Jaye lives in Brooklyn now and is a brilliant friend to visit galleries and museums with.
Please give his music a listen - it's so lovely:

In this interview, Jaye writes:
"The cover art is by Ursula Gullow. Throughout the nearly 15 years I’ve known Ursula, she has represented what I understand an artist to be, and has guided and formed that definition in a primary, ever-expanding way. Her work has been on the walls of any place I’ve ever lived. I love Alice Neel and Edvard Munch and Charlotte Salomon because their work reminds me of Ursula’s, so her work was my point of entry. I didn’t grow up in an “artistic” environment, or a literary environment. It wasn’t until 18 or 19 that I started reading and looking at images that weren’t on television, a cereal box, or an album cover. Ursula’s cover painting was the first work of art that breathed and moved me toward not only reverence or admiration, but to work and to a life where dreams and grace and mystery had value."

Comments