Learning through teaching

Behind the Bus oil on canvas 7" x 7" 2008

Last week I began teaching basic painting and basic design classes at AB Tech Community College as part of the school's continuing education program. I had never taught before (except the occasional private tutor session) and it has been years since I set foot in a classroom - let alone a college building.

I'd never considered working in the art education realm and this is certainly not a position I would have ever thought to apply for - the opportunity just fell into my lap. I have always been uncertain of my feelings around academia and art, but community colleges are a little different. Here I am just teaching basic methods and ideas without pretense (or high admission fees.) Time will tell how my feelings will evolve regarding all of this.

I've often heard that teaching something is a great way to learn it, and I can already see the truth in that statement. I'm looking forward to all I can learn and share as the weeks progress. And ultimately, the most important and best part of this experience is that it's really fun.

Comments