alienating or authentic

Towards a beginning oil on canvas 2009

A person who has been a fan of my work for years recently declared that he didn't like my new work as much as my older work. He said he found the subject matter of the newer works "alienating," and not as appealing as the older work which he found more nostalgic.

Everyone goes through different periods of creativity, and it seems like I am constantly reacting to myself - if I paint large landscapes for a month I may suddenly switch to miniature narratives, and then onto collages, and then maybe large portraits, and so on.

It's true that lately I've been experimenting with the subject matter and the formatting of my paintings, but I think the work is always authentically my own. I'm not trying to paint in any way other than how I must paint in that moment.


So, I could take my friend's criticism and go back to painting the subject matter he has suggested is more "likeable" (ie: marketable?) OR, better than that, I could trust my fans' confidence in me and continue producing the work I need to produce -- if they are truly fans they will love me no matter what.

Comments

  1. Mad Tea Party dealt with this same issue when we went from a folkier sound to a more rockin' one. We may have lost a few fans with that change, but I really think we've gained even more fans who appreciate the passion in our music now.

    People who truly connect with your authentic expression are true fans. People who support your growth as an artist. Not people who would prefer that you remain stagnant. Your last statement is right on.

    I'm a fan of your art, wherever the muse takes you with it!

    Ami

    ReplyDelete
  2. my $.002

    I'm always interested in people's responses to what I present and I welcome intelligent criticism (it's something I seldom receive). Ultimately though, it's solely up to me to make decisions about content and execution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I welcome honest feedback too. I really appreciate that he told me what was on his mind, and would prefer that to him not saying anything for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment