The Mending Project


I recently learned about the artist Beili Liu and her Mending Project. In performance, hundreds of scissors are suspended over her head, while she calmly stitches beneath their steely blades. The piece exemplifies one's ability to be at peace through a humble repetitive motion when faced with calamity.

It is beautiful and dignified, and the original intention of this post was to express how much I admire Liu's grace. However, I can't resist admitting that when I think of the sociological dangers facing women today I would prefer to see the artist tear down all those scissors and run a bulldozer over them.

Not to say that what she's doing isn't relevant and lovely, because it is and I admire her for it, but I have never been one to endure distress and arduous labor so demurely.

Comments