Artistic Failure

I'm talking a leap of faith here and revealing my most recent artistic failure. Let's face it, this thing is a mess.
Ah well, everyone makes mistakes sometimes. Rather than let this disaster deflate me, I'd like to see it as an opportunity for growth.
Things I don't like about this painting: the composition, and the fact that I kept heaping on more globs of paint with hopes that the lushness of the material would outshine the fact that I was incapable of rendering the still life how I really wanted it.

On the bright side: I think this is the most successful part of the painting. I like the bird because it's not a real bird and it's my F you to the whole "put a bird on it" thing. I also like the cupcake -- my F you to the "cupcake art" discussion.


Here's the still life I was working from. I like this photograph way better than the painting. I also like that I cleared this entire mess out of my studio because my cat kept eating the plastic Easter grass, and then upchucking Easter grass hairballs all over my apartment.

Comments