Wrestling ladies

The Takedown acrylic and oil on canvas 11" x14"

Head Drop acrylic and oil on canvas 12" x9"

For the Ladylike show at Satellite Gallery I created a series of paintings of female wrestlers -- a subject that has always created anxiety in me. I'm uncomfortable watching any forms of fighting -- let alone women dressed up, pulling each other's hair and calling each other names.

On the flip side, these women are actors, the acts performed in the ring is choreography; the athleticism and artistry required to wrestle cannot be denied. The showmanship and the spectacle is alluring, not to mention the camaraderie between players behind the scenes.

As I made the paintings I realized the world of wrestling is an exaggeration of the roles we all take on in our daily lives.

Check out Ladylike at Satellite Gallery through November 21st.
55 Broadway Asheville, NC (Gallery is closed Mon. + Tues.)

Comments

  1. Fascinating post. I really must get over to see that show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. these paintings are beautiful and compelling! I'm so excited about all the directions your work is taking as of late. and LadyLike was awesome and overwhelming. yay! thanks, Ursula.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment