Where you can see my paintings

Skunks invade my home.
This painting is a favorite to many people;
it is now on display at Atelier 24 in downtown Asheville

Until a year ago I consistently had work on display in galleries/libraries/theaters/bookstores or cafes around Asheville. After 6 years of all this exhibitionism I started to feel hazy about my intentions as an artist -- I found I was often making work to sell rather than pursue concepts or ideas that might have been less marketable.

For clarity, I stopped exhibiting work anywhere other than through my studio in the River Arts District.

After gathering my wits I decided I wanted a respectable venue to show my work at my discretion, which is why I chose Atelier 24 in downtown Asheville. The place rents booths out to artists selected for their quality of work. A few years ago I would have shunned this type of arrangement, but it makes sense to me now.

The quality of work at Atelier 24 is high, and mostly I am impressed with artists like Stephen Gecko, Angela Eastman, Jessica White and Honor Heirs (to name a few.) Unlike other art malls in town, this venue appears less cluttered. Dustin, the young man that works there on the weekends, told me that "landscapes sell the least." This is great because it indicates a buyer looking for something different.

I also really like that I can be the curator of my own space. I may have work that I want to hang that is less likely to sell -- rather than wait for a gallerist's approval I can go ahead and exhibit whatever I want.

At the moment I have some of my recent creative experiments which I like to call "interactive collages" on display. More on them later --meanwhile, you'll have to visit my space at Atelier 24 to see them in person.

(By the way: I no longer have a studio at The River District. I found that as a non-driver it's just easier for me to have my workspace close to me at all times.)

Comments